[ClusterLabs] Antw: question about equal resource distribution

Ulrich Windl Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Fri Feb 17 07:49:02 UTC 2017

Nachricht <28DE945E-894F-41B0-B191-53CE90542999 at clearskydata.com>:
> Suppose I have a N node cluster where N > 2 running m*N resources. Resources

> don’t have preferred nodes, but since resources take RAM and CPU it is
> important to distribute them equally among the nodes.
> Will pacemaker do the equal distribution, e.g. m resources per node?

Yes, per primitive, but does not take into account any usage (unless you tell
him to do so).

> If a node fails, will pacemaker redistribute the resources equally too, e.g.

> m * N/(N-1) per node?

If you have a 3-node cluster, and one node fails, the dead resources will be
distributed equally between the remaining nodes (like said above).

> I don’t see any settings controlling this behavior in the documentation,
but
> perhaps, pacemaker tries to be “fair” by default.

"Utilization" is a good keyword to search. Despite of that there's a German
saying "Probieren geht über studieren", meaning "trying is preferrable over
studying". Sometimes, at least ;-)

Regards,
Ulrich