[ClusterLabs] fence_vbox '--action=' not executing action

Kristoffer Grönlund kgronlund at suse.com
Mon Feb 6 10:54:35 UTC 2017

durwin at mgtsciences.com writes:

> Kristoffer Grönlund <kgronlund at suse.com> wrote on 02/01/2017 10:49:54 PM:
>

>> Another possibility is that the command that fence_vbox tries to run
>> doesn't work for you for some reason. It will either call
>>
>> VBoxManage startvm <vm> --type headless
>>
>> or
>>
>> VBoxManage controlvm <vm> poweroff
>>
>> when passed on or off as the --action parameter.
>
> If there is no further work being done on fence_vbox, is there a 'dummy'
> fence
> which I might use to make STONITH happy in my configuration?  It need only
> send
> the correct signals to STONITH so that I might create an active/active
> cluster
> to experiment with?  This is only an experimental configuration.

Another option would be to use SBD for fencing if your hypervisor can
provide uncached shared storage:

https://github.com/ClusterLabs/sbd

This is what we usually use for our test setups here, both with
VirtualBox and qemu/kvm.

fence_vbox is actively maintained for sure, but we'd need to narrow down
what the correct changes would be to make it work in your
environment.

Trying to use a dummy fencing agent is likely to come back to bite you,
the cluster will act very unpredictably if it thinks that there is a
fencing option that doesn't actually work.

For fence_vbox, the best path forward is probably to create an issue
upstream, and attach as much relevant information about your environment
as possible:

https://github.com/ClusterLabs/fence-agents/issues/new

Cheers,
Kristoffer