[ClusterLabs] Antw: Re: Antw: Re: pacemaker with sbd fails to start if node reboots too fast.

Gao,Yan ygao at suse.com
Tue Dec 5 09:04:29 EST 2017

On 12/05/2017 12:41 PM, Ulrich Windl wrote:

> <e49f3c0a-6981-3ab4-a0b0-1e5f49f34a25 at suse.com>:

>> time (I guess), this just shows a fundamental problem in SBD design: Receipt
>
>> of the fencing command is not confirmed (other than by seeing the
>> consequences of ist execution).

>>> Yes, of course, but that's not what Urlich likely intended to say.
>>> msgwait must account for worst case storage path latency, while in
>>> normal cases it happens much faster. If fenced node could acknowledge
>>> having been killed after reboot, stonith agent could return success much
>>> earlier.
>> How could an alive man be sure he died before? ;)
>
> I meant: There are three delays:
> 1) The delay until data is on the disk
It takes several IOs for the sender to do this -- read the device
header, lookup the slot, write the message and verify the message is
written (-- A timeout_io defaults to 3s).

As mentioned, msgwait timer of the sender starts only after message has
been verified to be written. We just need to make sure stonith-timeout
is configured longer enough than the sum.

> 2) Delay until date is read from the disk
It's already taken into account with msgwait. Considering the recipient
keeps reading in a loop, we don't know when exactly it starts to read
for this specific message. But once it starts a reading, it has to be
done within timeout_watchdog, otherwise watchdog triggers. So even for a
bad case, the message should be read within 2* timemout_watchdog. That's
the reason why the sender has to wait msgwait, which is 2 *
timeout_watchdog.

> 3) Delay until Host was killed
Kill is basically immediately triggered once poison pill is read.

> A confirmation before 3) could shorten the total wait that includes 2) and 3),
> right?
As mentioned in another email, an alive node, even indeed coming back
from death, cannot actually confirm itself or even give a confirmation
about if it was ever dead. And a successful fencing means the node being
dead.

Regards,
   Yan