[ClusterLabs] interesting blog on Pacemaker-related outage

Ken Gaillot kgaillot at redhat.com
Thu Dec 7 15:44:07 UTC 2017

On Thu, 2017-12-07 at 12:13 +0000, Adam Spiers wrote:
> https://gocardless.com/blog/incident-review-api-and-dashboard-outage-
> on-10th-october/
>
> It's a great write-up, although a little frustrating that it is still
> not fully understood why a -inf colocation failed whereas a +inf
> succeeded.  (I actually have a vague memory of discovering something
> very similar a while back, but I can't find the details.)

That is an excellent post. I'll contact them directly to discuss it
further.

> IMHO this serves as a good example of the difficulty Pacemaker faces,
> and consequently as valuable feedback for how Pacemaker needs to
> improve: it's all too easy to do one tiny misconfiguration which can
> potentially bring the whole house of cards tumbling down, and it's
> often really hard to understand what went wrong.
>
> So FWIW, my personal view is that more than anything else right now,
> Pacemaker needs to be made easier to understand.  I know this is a

Agreed, but there are about a dozen things that are more important than
anything else right now ;)

Personally, my current focus is technical debt: stripping out all the
legacy features that were deprecated in 1.1.18, so we can release 2.0.0
with a smaller code base that is easier to maintain going forward. The
hope is that this pays off in greater time savings down the road, but
it sucks up a lot of time in the near term.

There are a large number of outstanding bug reports that bother me,
several of them quite serious, and I would like to spend more time on
those before new features, but ...

There is constant demand for new features from paying customers, and we
can't stay relevant without trying to keep up at least to an extent.
Several recent projects (bundles, alerts, versioned attributes) could
really benefit from some follow-up work, and more major projects are
right on the horizon (failure handling configuration overhaul, crm_mon
overhaul, containerization of pacemaker/corosync, corosync 3/knet
compatibility).

And of course usability is, indeed, an incredibly important area to be
addressed, spanning log messages, documentation, and tooling.

Which is to say, volunteers welcome :-)