[ClusterLabs] Strange Corosync (TOTEM) logs, Pacemaker OK but DLM stuck

Ferenc Wágner wferi at niif.hu
Tue Aug 29 13:16:03 EDT 2017

Jan Friesse <jfriesse at redhat.com> writes:

> wferi at niif.hu writes:
>
>> Jan Friesse <jfriesse at redhat.com> writes:

>>> ^^^ This is main problem you have to solve. It usually means that
>>> machine is too overloaded. It is happening quite often when corosync
>>> is running inside VM where host machine is unable to schedule regular
>>> VM running.
>>
>> Corosync isn't running in a VM here, these nodes are 2x8 core servers
>> hosting VMs themselves as Pacemaker resources.  (Incidentally, some of
>> these VMs run Corosync to form a test cluster, but that should be
>> irrelevant now.)  And they aren't overloaded in any apparent way: Munin
>> reports 2900% CPU idle (out of 32 hyperthreads).  There's no swap, but
>> the corosync process is locked into memory anyway.  It's also running as
>> SCHED_RR prio 99, competing only with multipathd and the SCHED_FIFO prio
>> 99 kernel threads (migration/* and watchdog/*) under Linux 4.9.  I'll
>> try to take a closer look at the scheduling of these.  Can you recommend
>> some indicators to check out?
>
> No real hints. But one question. Are you 100% sure memory is locked?
> Because we had problem where mlockall was called in wrong place so
> corosync was actually not locked and it was causing similar issues.
>
> This behavior is fixed by
> https://github.com/corosync/corosync/commit/238e2e62d8b960e7c10bfa0a8281d78ec99f3a26

I based this assertion on the L flag in the ps STAT column.  The above
commit should not affect me because I'm running corosync with the -f
option:

$ ps l 3805
F   UID   PID  PPID PRI  NI    VSZ   RSS WCHAN  STAT TTY        TIME COMMAND
4     0  3805     1 -100  - 247464 141016 -     SLsl ?        251:10 /usr/sbin/corosync -f

By the way, are the above VSZ and RSS numbers reasonable?

One more thing: these servers run without any swap.

>>> As a start you can try what message say = Consider token timeout
>>> increase. Currently you have 3 seconds, in theory 6 second should be
>>> enough.
>>
>> OK, thanks for the tip.  Can I do this on-line, without shutting down
>> Corosync?
>
> Corosync way is to just edit/copy corosync.conf on all nodes and call
> corosync-cfgtool -R on one of the nodes (crmsh/pcs may have better
> way).

Great, that's what I wanted to know: whether -R is expected to make this
change effective.
--
Thanks,
Feri