[ClusterLabs] Notification agent and Notification recipients

Jan Pokorný jpokorny at redhat.com
Fri Aug 4 11:42:18 EDT 2017

On 03/08/17 12:31 +0530, Sriram wrote:
> We have a four node cluster (1 active : 3 standby) in our lab for a
> particular service. If the active node goes down, one of the three standby
> node  becomes active. Now there will be (1 active :  2 standby : 1 offline).
>
> Is there any way where this newly elected node sends notification to the
> remaining 2 standby nodes about its new status ?
>
> I was exploring "notification agent" and "notification recipient" features,
> but that doesn't seem to work. /etc/sysconfig/notify.sh doesn't get invoked
> even in the newly elected active node.
>
> Cluster Properties:
>  cluster-infrastructure: corosync
>  dc-version: 1.1.17-e2e6cdce80
>  default-action-timeout: 240
>  have-watchdog: false
>  no-quorum-policy: ignore
>  *notification-agent: /etc/sysconfig/notify.sh*
>  *notification-recipient: /var/log/notify.log*

This ^ legacy approach to configure notifications ...

>  placement-strategy: balanced
>  stonith-enabled: false
>  symmetric-cluster: false
>

> I m using the following versions of pacemaker and corosync.
>
> /usr/sbin # ./pacemakerd --version
> Pacemaker 1.1.17

... is not expected to be used with this ^ new pacemaker (or any
version 1.1.15+, for that matter, unless explicitly enabled):

 https://github.com/ClusterLabs/pacemaker/commit/a8d8c0c2d4cad571f0746c879de4f6d0c55dd5d6

[...]

> Can you please suggest if I m doing anything wrong or if there any other
> mechanisms to achieve this ?

Please, have a look at the respective chapter of Pacemaker Explained

 http://clusterlabs.org/doc/en-US/Pacemaker/1.1-pcs/html-single/Pacemaker_Explained/index.html#_alert_agents

with the details on how to use the blessed (and usually only, which
is very likely here) approach to configure notification scripts.

--
Poki