[ClusterLabs] Growing a cluster from 1 node without fencing

Edwin Török edvin.torok at citrix.com
Mon Aug 14 05:51:17 EDT 2017

Hi,

When setting up a cluster with just 1 node with auto-tie-breaker and
DLM, and incrementally adding more I got some unexpected fencing if the
2nd node doesn't join the cluster soon enough.

What I also found surprising is that if the cluster has ever seen 2
nodes, then turning off the 2nd node works fine and doesn't cause
fencing (using auto-tie-breaker).

I have a hardware watchdog, and can reproduce the problem with these (or
older) versions and sequence of steps:

corosync-2.4.0-9.el7.x86_64
pacemaker-1.1.16-12.el7.x86_64
sbd-1.3.0-3.el7.x86_64
pcs-0.9.158-6.el7.x86_64

pcs cluster destroy
rm /var/lib/corosync/* -f
pcs cluster auth -u hacluster cluster1 cluster2
pcs cluster setup --name cluster cluster1 --auto_tie_breaker=1
pcs stonith sbd enable
pcs cluster start --all
pcs property set no-quorum-policy=ignore
# or pcs property set no-quorum-policy=freeze
# or pcs property set no-quorum-policy=suicide
pcs resource create dlm ocf:pacemaker:controld op monitor interval=30s
on-fail=fence clone interleave=true ordered=true
while ! dlm_tool join testls; do sleep 1; done
crm_mon -1
pcs cluster node add cluster2&
journalctl --follow

What am I doing wrong, and how can I avoid fencing?
I thought that setting no-quorum-policy to ignore would prevent this (if
I have just 1 node I don't really need fencing until the 2nd node is
actually up), but if there are any active DLM lockspaces that doesn't
seem to be the case.

Thanks,
--Edwin