[ClusterLabs] how important would you consider to have two independent fencing device for each node ?

Lentes, Bernd bernd.lentes at helmholtz-muenchen.de
Tue Apr 18 11:07:15 EDT 2017

Hi,

i'm currently establishing a two node cluster. Each node is a HP server with an ILO card.
I can fence both of them, it's working fine.
But what is if the ILO does not work correctly ? Then fencing is not possible.

I also have a switched PDU from APC. Each server has two power supplies. Currently one is connected to the normal power equipment, the other to the UPS.
As a sort of redundancy, if the UPS does not work properly.

When i'd like to use the switched PDU as a fencing device i will loose the redundancy of two independent power sources, because then i have to connect both power supplies together to the UPS.
I wouldn't like to do that.

How important would you consider to have two independent fencing device for each node ? I'd can't by another PDU, currently we are very poor.

Is there another way to create a second fencing device, independent from the ILO card ?

Thanks.

Bernd

--
Bernd Lentes

Systemadministration
institute of developmental genetics
Gebäude 35.34 - Raum 208
HelmholtzZentrum München
bernd.lentes at helmholtz-muenchen.de
phone: +49 (0)89 3187 1241
fax: +49 (0)89 3187 2294

Erst wenn man sich auf etwas festlegt kann man Unrecht haben
Scott Adams

Helmholtz Zentrum Muenchen
Deutsches Forschungszentrum fuer Gesundheit und Umwelt (GmbH)
Ingolstaedter Landstr. 1
85764 Neuherberg
www.helmholtz-muenchen.de
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzende: MinDir'in Baerbel Brumme-Bothe
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Prof. Dr. Guenther Wess, Heinrich Bassler, Dr. Alfons Enhsen
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Muenchen HRB 6466
USt-IdNr: DE 129521671