[ClusterLabs] cluster does not detect kill on pacemaker process ?

Ken Gaillot kgaillot at redhat.com
Sat Apr 8 02:15:55 UTC 2017

On 04/07/2017 05:20 PM, neeraj ch wrote:
> I am running it on centos 6.6. I am killing the "pacemakerd" process
> using kill -9.

pacemakerd is a supervisor process that watches the other processes, and
respawns them if they die. It is not really responsible for anything in
the cluster directly. So, killing it does not disrupt the cluster in any
way, it just prevents automatic recovery if one of the other daemons dies.

When systemd is in use, systemd will restart pacemakerd if it dies, but
CentOS 6 does not have systemd (CentOS 7 does).

> hmm, stonith is used for detection as well? I thought it was used to
> disable malfunctioning nodes.

If you kill pacemakerd, that doesn't cause any harm to the cluster, so
that would not involve stonith.

If you kill crmd or corosync instead, that would cause the node to leave
the cluster -- it would be considered a malfunctioning node. The rest of
the cluster would then use stonith to disable that node, so it could
safely recover its services elsewhere.