[ClusterLabs] Virtual ip resource restarted on node with down network device

Ken Gaillot kgaillot at redhat.com
Fri Sep 16 12:01:48 EDT 2016

On 09/16/2016 10:43 AM, Auer, Jens wrote:
> Hi,
>
> thanks for the help.
>
>> I'm not sure what you mean by "the device the virtual ip is attached
>> to", but a separate question is why the resource agent reported that
>> restarting the IP was successful, even though that device was
>> unavailable. If the monitor failed when the device was made unavailable,
>> I would expect the restart to fail as well.
>
> I created the virtual ip with parameter nic=bond0, and this is the device I am bringing down
> and was referring to in my question. I think the current behavior is a little inconsistent. I bring
> down the device and pacemaker recognizes this and restarts the resource. However, the monitor
> then should fail again, but it just doesn't detect any problems.

That is odd. Pacemaker is just acting on what the resource agent
reports, so the issue will be in the agent. Agents are usually fairly
simple shell scripts, so you could just look at what it does, and try
running those commands manually and see what the results are.

There are also some pcs commands debug-start, debug-monitor, etc. that
run the agent directly, using the configuration from the cluster.

And you can look in the system log and pacemaker detail log around the
time of the incident for any interesting messages.