[ClusterLabs] corosync-quorum tool, output name key on Name column if set?

Christine Caulfield ccaulfie at redhat.com
Tue Sep 20 10:36:36 UTC 2016

On 20/09/16 10:46, Thomas Lamprecht wrote:
> Hi,
>
> when I'm using corosync-quorumtool [-l] and have my ring0_addr set to a
> IP address,
> which does not resolve to a hostname, I get the nodes IP addresses for
> the 'Name' column.
>
> As I'm using the nodelist.node.X.name key to set the name of a node it
> seems a bit confusing
> to me that not this one gets preferred or at least also outputted. Its
> quite a minor issue if
> not nit picking but as I associate my nodes with there name I.
>
> I'd be ready to assemble a patch and one possibility would be adapting
> the output to something
> like:
>
>> # corosync-quorumtool
>>
>> Quorum information
>> ------------------
>> Date:             Tue Sep 20 11:12:14 2016
>> Quorum provider:  corosync_votequorum
>> Nodes:            3
>> Node ID:          1
>> Ring ID:          1/1784
>> Quorate:          Yes
>>
>> Votequorum information
>> ----------------------
>> Expected votes:   3
>> Highest expected: 3
>> Total votes:      3
>> Quorum:           2
>> Flags:            Quorate
>>
>> Membership information
>> ----------------------
>>     Nodeid      Votes Name ring0_addr
>>          1          1 uno  10.10.20.1 (local)
>>          2          1 due  10.10.20.2
>>          3          1 tre  10.10.20.3
>>

> And respective:
>

>> # corosync-quorumtool -l
>>
>> Membership information
>> ----------------------
>>     Nodeid      Votes Name ring0_addr
>>          1          1 uno  10.10.20.1 (local)
>>          2          1 due  10.10.20.2
>>          3          1 tre  10.10.20.3
>
> additional ring1_addr could be also outputted if set.
>
> This would be just a general idea, if there are suggestions I'll gladly
> hear them.
>
> As such a change may be not ideal during a stable release, e.g as
> corosync user could
> parse the corosync-quorumtool output (I mean there are quite better
> places to get the
> info but there may be still user doing this)  another possibility would
> be adding an
> option flag to corosync similar to '-i' (show node IP addresses instead
> of the resolved
> name) which then shows the nodelist.node.X.name value instead of IP or
> resolved name.
>
> Another, third, option would be letting the output as is but if the '-i'
> option is not
> set prefer the nodelist.node.X.name over the resolved hostname and fall
> back to IP if
> both are not available.
> I'd almost prefer this change the most, it lets the output as it is and
> it seems logical
> that the Name column outputs the name key if possible, imo.

> [...]

Hi Tomas,

I'd be happy to receive such a patch. The main reason it's not done this
way is that it's not always obvious how to resolve a name from it's IP
address. If corosync.conf has a nodelist then using that does seem like
the best option though (and bear in mind that more than 1 ring is
possible). If corosync.conf is set up to use multicast then we have no
choice to guess at what the name might be (as happens now).

Most of corosync-quorumtool was written when nodelist was not the
dominant way of configuring a cluster which is why it is the way it is
at the moment.

As to what should be the default and which options are most useful, I
would be interested to hear the views of the community as to what they
would like to see :)

Chrissie