[ClusterLabs] [rgmanager] Recovering a failed (but running) server in rgmanager

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Mon Sep 19 18:39:37 UTC 2016

On 19/09/16 02:30 PM, Jan Pokorný wrote:
> On 18/09/16 15:37 -0400, Digimer wrote:
>>   If, for example, a server's definition file is corrupted while the
>> server is running, rgmanager will put the server into a 'failed' state.
>> That's fine and fair.
>
> Please, be more precise.  Is it "vm" resource agent that you are talking
> about, hence server is the particular virtual machine to be managed?
> Is the agent in the role of a service (defined at a top-level) or
> a standard resource (without special treatment, possibly with
> dependent services further in the group)?

In 'clustat', vm:foo reports 'failed' after the vm.sh calls a status and
gets a bad return (because the foo.xml file was corrupted by creating a
typo that breaks the XML, as an example).

I'm not sure if that answers your question, sorry.

>>   The problem is that, once the file is fixed, there appears to be no
>> way to go failed -> started without disabling (and thus powering off)
>> the VM. This is troublesom because it forces an interruption when the
>> service could have been placed under resource management without a reboot.
>>
>>   For example, doing 'clusvcadm -e <server>' when the service was
>> 'disabled' (say because of a manual boot of the server), rgmanager
>> detects that the server is running fine and simply marks the server as
>> 'started'. Is there no way to do something similar to go 'failed' ->
>> 'started' without the 'disable' step?
>
> In case it's a VM as a service, this could possibly be "exploited"
> (never tested that, though):
>
> # MANWIDTH=72 man rgmanager | col -b \
>   | sed -n '/^VIRTUAL MACHINE/{:a;p;n;/^\s*$/d;ba}'
>> VIRTUAL MACHINE FEATURES
>>        Apart from what is noted in the VM resource agent, rgman-
>>        ager  provides  a  few  convenience features when dealing
>>        with virtual machines.
>>         * it will use live migration when transferring a virtual
>>         machine  to  a  more-preferred  host in the cluster as a
>>         consequence of failover domain operation
>>         * it will search the other instances of rgmanager in the
>>         cluster  in  the  case  that a user accidentally moves a
>>         virtual machine using other management tools
>>         * unlike services, adding a virtual  machine  to  rgman-
>>         ager’s  configuration will not cause the virtual machine
>>         to be restarted
>>         *  removing   a   virtual   machine   from   rgmanager’s
>>         configuration will leave the virtual machine running.
>
> (see the last two items).

So a possible "recover" would be to remove the VM from rgmanager, then
add it back? I can see that working, but it seems heavy handed. :)

>>   I tried freezing the service, no luck. I also tried coalescing via
>> '-c', but that didn't help either.
>
> Any path from "failed" in the resource (group) life-cycle goes either
> through "disabled" or "stopped" if I am not mistaken, so would rather
> experiment with adding a new service and dropping the old one per
> the above description as a possible workaround (perhaps in the reverse
> order so as to retain the same name for the service, indeed unless
> rgmanager would actively prevent that anyway -- no idea).

This is my understanding as well, yes (that failed must go through
'disabled' or 'stopped').

I'll try the remove/re-add option and report back.

--
Digimer
access to education?