[ClusterLabs] DRBD failover in Pacemaker

Dimitri Maziuk dmaziuk at bmrb.wisc.edu
Fri Sep 9 00:17:32 UTC 2016

On 09/08/2016 06:33 PM, Digimer wrote:

> With 'fencing resource-and-stonith;' and a {un,}fence-handler set, DRBD
> will block when the peer is lost until the fence handler script returns
> indicating the peer was fenced/stonithed. In this way, the secondary
> WON'T promote to Primary while the peer is still Primary. It will only
> promote AFTER confirmation that the old Primary is gone. Thus, no
> split-brain.

In 7 or 8 years of running several DRBD pairs I had split brain about 5
times and at least 2 of them were because I tugged on the crosslink
cable while mucking around the back of the rack. Maybe if you run a
zillion of stacked active-active resources on a 100-node cluster DRBD
split brain becomes a real problem, from where I'm sitting stonith'ing
DRBD nodes is a solution in search of a problem.

--
Dimitri Maziuk
Programmer/sysadmin