[ClusterLabs] When the DC crmd is frozen, cluster decisions are delayed infinitely

Shermal Fernando shermalfe at millenniumit.com
Sat Sep 3 14:42:02 EDT 2016

Hi,

Currently our system have 99.96% uptime. But our goal is to increase it beyond 99.999%. Now we are studying the reliability/performance/features of pacemaker to replace the existing clustering solution.

While testing pacemaker, I have encountered a problem. If the DC (crm daemon) is frozen by sending the SIGSTOP signal, crmds in other machines never start election to elect a new DC. Therefore fail-overs, resource restartings and other cluster decisions will be delayed until the DC is unfrozen.
Is this the default behavior of pacemaker or is it due to a misconfiguration? Is there any way to avoid this single point of failure?

For the testing, we use Pacemaker 1.1.12 with Corosync 2.3.3 in SLES 12 SP1 operation system.

Regards,
Shermal Fernando

This e-mail transmission (inclusive of any attachments) is strictly confidential and intended solely for the ordinary user of the e-mail address to which it was addressed. It may contain legally privileged and/or CONFIDENTIAL information. The unauthorized use, disclosure, distribution printing and/or copying of this e-mail or any information it contains is prohibited and could, in certain circumstances, constitute an offence. If you have received this e-mail in error or are not an intended recipient please inform the sender of the email and MillenniumIT immediately by return e-mail or telephone (+94-11) 2416000. We advise that in keeping with good computing practice, the recipient of this e-mail should ensure that it is virus free. We do not accept responsibility for any virus that may be transferred by way of this e-mail. E-mail may be susceptible to data corruption, interception and unauthorized amendment, and we do not accept liability for any such corruption, interception or amendment or any consequences thereof.  www.millenniumit.com