[ClusterLabs] Antw: Re: Replicated PGSQL woes

Ulrich Windl Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Fri Oct 14 03:59:04 EDT 2016

>>> Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais <jgdr at dalibo.com> schrieb am 13.10.2016 um 23:56 in
Nachricht <20161013235606.007018eb at firost>:

[...]
> As far as I know, the pgsql resource agent create such a lock file on
> promote
> and delete it on graceful stop. If the PostgreSQL instance couldn't be
> stopped
> correctly, the lock files stays and the RA refuse to start it the next time.

As a note: We once had the case of a very old stale PID file, where a valid start was denied, because the PID existed, but belonged to a completely different process in the meantime (on a busy server). That's why stale PID files should be deleted; specifically they shouldn't survive a reboot ;-)

You can conclude from a missing PID that the process is not running with that PID, but you cannot conclude from an existing PID that it's still the same process ;-)

Regards,
Ulrich