[ClusterLabs] Antw: Re: Antw: Re: When the DC crmd is frozen, cluster decisions are delayed infinitely

Klaus Wenninger kwenning at redhat.com
Thu Oct 6 12:03:23 EDT 2016

On 10/05/2016 04:22 PM, renayama19661014 at ybb.ne.jp wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>>> If a user uses sbd, can the cluster evade a problem of SIGSTOP of crmd?
>>
>> As pointed out earlier, maybe crmd should feed a watchdog. Then stopping crmd
>> will reboot the node (unless the watchdog fails).
>
> Thank you for comment.
>
> We examine watchdog of crmd, too.
> In addition, I comment after examination advanced.

Was thinking of doing a small test implementation going
a little in the direction Lars Ellenberg had been pointing out.

a couple of thoughts I had so far:

- add an API (via DBus or libqb - favoring libqb atm) to sbd
  an application can use to create a watchdog within sbd

- parameters for the first are a name and a timeout

- first use-case would be crmd observation

- later on we could think of removing pacemaker dependencies
  from sbd by moving the actual implementation of
  pacemaker-watcher and probably cluster-watcher as well
  into pacemaker - using the new API

- this of course creates sbd dependency within pacemaker so
  that it would make sense to offer a simpler and self-contained
  implementation within pacemaker as an alternative

  thus it would be favorable to have the dependency
  within a non-compulsory pacemaker-rpm so that
  we can offer an alternative that doesn't use sbd
  at maybe the cost of being less reliable or one
  that owns a hardware-watchdog by itself for systems
  where this is still unused.

  - e.g. via some kind of plugin (Andrew forgive me -
                                                   no pils ;-) )
  - or via an additional daemon

What did you have in mind?
Maybe it makes sense to synchronize...