[ClusterLabs] Special care needed when upgrading Pacemaker Remote nodes

Ken Gaillot kgaillot at redhat.com
Mon Oct 31 14:15:11 UTC 2016

On 10/29/2016 07:55 AM, Ferenc Wágner wrote:
> Ken Gaillot <kgaillot at redhat.com> writes:
>
>> This spurred me to complete a long-planned overhaul of Pacemaker
>> Explained's "Upgrading" appendix:
>>
>> http://clusterlabs.org/doc/en-US/Pacemaker/1.1-pcs/html/Pacemaker_Explained/_upgrading.html
>>
>> Feedback is welcome.
>
> Since you asked for it..:)
>
> 1. Table D.1.: why does a rolling upgrade imply any service outage? Always?

Putting a node into standby will move all resources off it, so there's
at least a brief outage. Although I suppose if all of your resources are
live-migratable there wouldn't be. :) Probably worth a footnote to clarify.

> 2. Detach method: why use rsc_defaults instead of maintenance mode?

Good question. I think that would be equivalent (and easier). I'll
verify there are no special concerns and swap it.

> 3. When do you think 1.1.16 will be released?  With approximately how
>    much ABI incompatibility in the libraries?

I plan on starting the release cycle for 1.1.16 very soon. I expect all
the ABI changes will be backward-compatible. I think we had a few public
function additions but that's it.