[ClusterLabs] stonithd/fenced filling up logs

Ken Gaillot kgaillot at redhat.com
Wed Oct 5 17:38:27 UTC 2016

On 10/05/2016 11:56 AM, Israel Brewster wrote:
>> On Oct 4, 2016, at 4:06 PM, Digimer <lists at alteeve.ca
>> <mailto:lists at alteeve.ca>> wrote:
>>
>> On 04/10/16 07:50 PM, Israel Brewster wrote:

If you ran "pcs cluster setup", it configured CMAN for you. Normally you
don't need to modify those values, but you can see them in
/etc/cluster/cluster.conf.

> [...]
> are better options than just cutting the power)

>>> The coordination is, of course, the whole point - an
>>> IP/service/whatever runs on one machine, and should that machine
>>> become unavailable (for whatever reason), it automatically moves to
>>> the other machine. My services could, of course, run on both just
>>> fine, but that doesn't help with accessing said services - that still
>>> has to go to one or the other.
>>
>> Exactly. So you need HA, and you need to ensure coordinated actions
>> between the nodes. If you lose access to a node, for any reason, you
>> can't make assumptions about its state. If you do, you will eventually
>> get it wrong and voila, split-brain and uncoordinated actions.
>>
>>> So where fencing comes in would be for the situations where one
>>> machine *thinks* the other is unavailable, perhaps due to a network
>>> issue, but in fact the other machine is still up and running, I
>>> guess? That would make sense, but the thought of software simply
>>> taking over and shutting down one of my machines, without even
>>> consulting me first, doesn't sit well with me at all. Even a restart
>>> would be annoying - I typically like to see if I can figure out what
>>> is going on before restarting, since restarting often eliminates the
>>> symptoms that help diagnose problems.
>>
>> That is a classic example, but not the only one. Perhaps the target is
>> hung, but might recover later? You just don't know, and not knowing is
>> all you know, *until* you fence it.`
>
> ....or until I log onto the machine and take a look at what is going on :-)
>

>> I can understand that it "doesn't sit well with you", but you need to
>> let that go. HA software is not like most other applications.
>
> Understood. It might help if I knew there would be good documentation of
> the current state of the machine before the shutdown, but I don't know
> if that is even possible. So I guess I'll just have to get over it, be
> happy that I didn't loose any services, and move on :-)
>
>> If a node gets shot, in pacemaker/corosync, there is always going to be
>> a reason for it. Your job is to sort out why, after the fact. The
>> important part is that your services continued to be available.
>
> Gotcha. Makes sense.
>
>> Note that you can bias which node wins in a case where both are alive
>> but something blocked comms. You do this by setting a delay on the fence
>> method for the node you prefer. So it works like this;
>>
>> Say node 1 is your primary node where your services normally live, and
>> node 2 is the backup. Something breaks comms and both declare the other
>> dead and both initiate a fence. Node 2 loops up how to fence node 1,
>> sees a delay and pauses for $delay seconds. Node 1 looks up how to fence
>> node 2, sees no delay and pulls the trigger right away. Node 2 will die
>> because it exits its delay.
>
> I was wondering about that.
>
> So in any case, I guess the next step here is to figure out how to do
> fencing properly, using controllable power strips or the like. Back to

It sounds like you're on the right track for fencing, but it may not be
your best next step. Currently, your nodes are trying to fence each
other endlessly, so if you get fencing working, one of them will
succeed, and you just have a new problem. :-)

Check the logs for the earliest occurrence (after starting the cluster)
of the "Requesting Pacemaker fence" message. Look back from that time in
/var/log/messages, /var/log/cluster/*, and /var/log/pacemaker.log (not
necessarily all will be present on your system) to try to figure out why
it wants to fence.

One thing I noticed is that you're running CentOS 6.8, but your
pacemaker version is 1.1.11. CentOS 6.8 shipped with 1.1.14, so maybe
you partially upgraded your system from an earlier OS version? I'd try
applying all updates (especially cman, libqb, corosync, and pacemaker).

>>> Now if there is a version of fencing that simply
>>> e-mails/texts/whatever me and says "Ummm... something is wrong with
>>> that machine over there, you need to do something about it, because I
>>> can't guarantee operation otherwise", I could go for that.

As digimer mentioned elsewhere, one variation is to use "fabric"
fencing, i.e. cutting off all external access (disk and/or network) to
the node. That leaves it up but unable to cause any trouble, so you can
investigate.

If the disk is all local, or accessed over the network, then asking an
intelligent switch to cut off network access is sufficient. If the disk
is shared (e.g. iSCSI), then you need to cut it off, too.