[ClusterLabs] newbie questions

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Tue May 31 23:34:09 EDT 2016

On 31/05/16 10:41 PM, Jay Scott wrote:
> hooray for me, but, how?
>
> I got about 3/4 of Digimer's list done and got stuck.
> I did a pcs cluster status, and, behold, the cluster was up.
> I pinged the ClusterIP and it answered.  I didn't know what
> to do with the 'delay="x"' part, that's the thing I couldn't figure
> out.  (I've been assuming the delay part is a big deal.)

Delay works like this;

Both nodes are up, but comms break (switch loop/broadcast storm,
STP/stack renegotiation, iptables oops, whatever)... Both nodes declare
their peer lost.

Node 1's stonith config includes 'delay="15"'.

Node 1 looks up how to fence node 2, calls the fence.

Node 2 looks up how to fence node 1, calls fence (passing to the agent
the delay).

The fence agent running on node 1 executes without delay.

The fence agent running on node 2 sees a delay of 15 seconds, and sleeps.

Node 1 kills node 2 before the sleep exits, thus ensuring that node 1
lived and node 2 died. Assuming you have your services on node 1, then
that means no recovery is needed.

Now assume that node 1 truly died. Node 2's fence agent would exit the
sleep after 15 seconds and proceed to shoot node 1 and then recover any
resources that had been on node 1.

digimer