[ClusterLabs] OpenStack Summit - Austin recap

Kristoffer Grönlund kgronlund at suse.com
Wed May 4 07:38:16 UTC 2016

Ken Gaillot <kgaillot at redhat.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> Last week's OpenStack Summit in Austin, Texas, was quite an event --
> equal parts spectacle and substance. ;-)

Wish I could have been there!

> In particular, anyone interested in HA and OpenStack should check out
> Adam Spiers and Dawid Deja's excellent presentation on the state of
> instance HA:
> https://www.openstack.org/videos/video/high-availability-for-pets-and-hypervisors-state-of-the-nation
>
> I was a bit surprised by how many presenters claimed "HA" as part of
> their topic's features, but when pressed, said their HA solution was
> either planned for the future, or couldn't handle split-brain. It seems
> we still have a lot of work to do to raise awareness of what true HA means.

I've been toying with the idea of a HA presentation called "Anything
they can do we can do better" - but my non-confrontational swedish
sensibilities are keeping me back. Would love to see someone else do
that one though. ;)

This may be due to ignorance on my part, but from what I have seen so
far, I personally think Pacemaker has all of the new container-centric
cluster "solutions" including Kubernetes beat on everything except
handling network configuration. Which admittedly is a big part of
container management...

Cheers,

--
// Kristoffer Grönlund