[ClusterLabs] documentation on STONITH with remote nodes?

Adam Spiers aspiers at suse.com
Mon Mar 14 14:46:54 UTC 2016

Ken Gaillot <kgaillot at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 03/12/2016 05:07 AM, Adam Spiers wrote:
> > Is there any documentation on how STONITH works on remote nodes?  I
> > couldn't find any on clusterlabs.org, and it's conspicuously missing
> > from:
> >
> > http://clusterlabs.org/doc/en-US/Pacemaker/1.1/html-single/Pacemaker_Remote/
> >
> > I'm guessing the answer is more or less "it works exactly the same as
> > for corosync nodes", however I expect there are nuances which might be
> > worth documenting.  In particular I'm looking for confirmation that
> > STONITH resources for remote nodes will only run on the corosync
> > nodes, and can't run on (other) remote nodes.  My empirical tests seem
> > to confirm this, but reassurance from an expert would be appreciated :-)
>
> The above link does have some information -- search it for "fencing".

Ah!  Thanks - I had only searched for "STONITH".  Here it is:

http://clusterlabs.org/doc/en-US/Pacemaker/1.1/html-single/Pacemaker_Remote/#_fencing_remote_nodes

> You are correct, only full cluster nodes can run fence devices or
> initiate fencing actions.
>
> Fencing of remote nodes (configured via ocf:pacemaker:remote resource)
> is indeed identical to fencing of full cluster nodes. You can configure
> fence devices for them the same way, and the cluster fences them the
> same way.

Thanks for the confirmation.

> Fencing of guest nodes (configured via remote-node property of a
> resource such as VirtualDomain) is different. For those, fence devices
> are ignored, and the cluster fences them by stopping and starting the
> resource.

Makes sense and is intuitive.  And I also found that it is documented
here:

http://clusterlabs.org/doc/en-US/Pacemaker/1.1/html-single/Pacemaker_Remote/#_testing_recovery_and_fencing

Thanks again!