[ClusterLabs] design question to DRBD

Lentes, Bernd bernd.lentes at helmholtz-muenchen.de
Wed Jun 22 15:13:53 EDT 2016

----- On Jun 22, 2016, at 8:34 PM, Dimitri Maziuk dmaziuk at bmrb.wisc.edu wrote:

> On 06/22/2016 01:00 PM, Lentes, Bernd wrote:
>> ----- On Jun 22, 2016, at 7:17 PM, Dimitri Maziuk dmaziuk at bmrb.wisc.edu wrote:
>
>>> Does your webapp ever write to /srv/www?
>
>> it does.
>
> Yeah, OK, it that case you want DRBD so the writes go to both nodes at
> once.
>
> If you have to use DRBD anyway, then you might as well put DocumentRoot,
> cgi-bin, etc. on DRBD and use ocf:heartbeat:symlink resource to point
> apache to the right directories. Then you have to let the cluster start
> apache after the symlink's updated (after DRBD FS is mounted).
>
> Similarly you might as well share the database storage the same way and
> let the cluster control the DB server.
>
> You could do a mix-and-match setup with some bits completely independent
> and running out of init while some other parts are tied to DRBD and
> controlled by the cluster, but that's going to be a pain maintenance-wise.

My idea is to use mysql replication. The ressource agent manages which is master and which is slave.
The database is on a local harddisk on each node.
The IP pointing to the webapp is also a ressource managed by the cluster.
If i have /srv/www on a drbd directories like DocumentRoot, cgi-bin (which are situated under /srv/www)
are automatical on the drbd device.

I'm thinking about starting drbd and the ocfs fs by init. I don't see the strong need having it controlled by pacemaker.
But of course the mix is more difficult to maintain.

Bernd

Helmholtz Zentrum Muenchen
Deutsches Forschungszentrum fuer Gesundheit und Umwelt (GmbH)
Ingolstaedter Landstr. 1
85764 Neuherberg
www.helmholtz-muenchen.de
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzende: MinDir'in Baerbel Brumme-Bothe
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Prof. Dr. Guenther Wess, Dr. Alfons Enhsen, Renate Schlusen (komm.)
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Muenchen HRB 6466
USt-IdNr: DE 129521671