[ClusterLabs] Recovering after split-brain

Nikhil Utane nikhil.subscribed at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 05:07:05 UTC 2016

I don't get it.  Pacemaker + Corosync is providing me so much of
functionality.
For e.g. if we leave out the condition of split-brain for a while, then it
provides:
1) Discovery and cluster formation
2) Synchronization of data
3) Heartbeat mechanism
4) Swift failover of the resource
5) Guarantee that one resource will be started on only 1 node

So in case of normal fail-over we need the basic functionality of resource
being migrated to a standby node.
And it is giving me all that.
So I don't agree that it needs to be as black and white as you say. Our
solution has different requirements than a typical HA solution. But that is
only now. In the future we might have to implement all the things. So in
that sense Pacemaker gives us a good framework that we can extend.

BTW, we are not even using a virtual IP resource which again I believe is
something that everyone employs.
Because of the nature of the service a small glitch is going to happen.
Using virtual IPs is not giving any real benefit for us.
And with regard to the question, why even have a standby and let it be
active all the time, two-node cluster is one of the possible configuration,
but main requirement is to support N + 1. So standby node doesn't know
which active it has to take over until a failover occurs.

Your comments however has made me re-consider using fencing. It was not
that we didn't want to do it.
Just that I felt it may not be needed. So I'll definitely explore this
further.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

-Regards
Nikhil