[ClusterLabs] Recovering after split-brain

Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais jgdr at dalibo.com
Mon Jun 20 14:13:26 UTC 2016

Le Mon, 20 Jun 2016 19:00:12 +0530,
Nikhil Utane <nikhil.subscribed at gmail.com> a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> For our solution we are making a conscious choice to not use quorum/fencing
> as for us service availability is more important than having 2 nodes take
> up the same active role. Split-brain is not an issue for us (at least i
> think that way) since we have a second line of defense. We have clients who
> can connect to only one of the two active nodes. So in that sense, even if
> we end up with 2 nodes becoming active, since the clients can connect to
> only 1 of the active node, we should not have any issue.

I've heard multiple time this kind of argument on the field, but soon or later,
these clusters actually had a split brain scenario with clients connected on
both side, some very bad corruptions, data lost, etc.

Do never under estimate the kaos. It will always find a way to surprise you. If
there is a breach somewhere, soon or later everything will blow up.

Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais
Dalibo