[ClusterLabs] Pacemaker 1.1.15 - Release Candidate 4

Klaus Wenninger kwenning at redhat.com
Mon Jun 13 05:47:44 UTC 2016

On 06/12/2016 02:28 PM, Ferenc Wágner wrote:
> Ken Gaillot <kgaillot at redhat.com> writes:
>
>> With this release candidate, we now provide three sample alert scripts
>> to use with the new alerts feature, installed in the
>> /usr/share/pacemaker/alerts directory.
> Hi,
>
> Is there a real reason to name these scripts *.sample?  Sure, they are
> samples, but they are also usable as-is, aren't they?
Focus is to show how the alert-feature can be used and not
smooth and generic usability.
There might be use-cases where they might be useful as is
but users are still encouraged to have a look at the code and
modify it as needed.
As the interface stabilizes it might turn out useful to spawn
them out like fence- & resource-agents.
>> The ./configure script has a new "--with-configdir" option.
> This greatly simplifies packaging, thanks much!
>
> Speaking about packaging: are the alert scripts run by remote Pacemaker
> nodes?  I couldn't find described which nodes run the alert scripts.
> From the mailing list discussions I recall they are run by each node,
> but this would be useful to spell out in the documentation, I think.
The alert-scripts are being called by crmd. So no alert-scripts on
remote-nodes...
Had planned to add a few lines about environment and conditions
alert-scripts are being run so that sbdy writing one can get a
feeling what to expects and be careful with.

> Similarly for the alert guarrantees: I recall there's no such thing, but
> one could also think they are parts of transactions, thus having recovery
> behavior similar to the resource operations.  Hmm... wouldn't such
> design actually make sense?
One of the goals of the design was to make it as simple as possible
and to depend on as little as possible. (e.g. spawn out all alerts
in separate processes in parallel as they occur - not 100% fire
and forget but quite close ...)