[ClusterLabs] Reliability questions on the new QDevices in uneven node count Setups

Klaus Wenninger kwenning at redhat.com
Mon Jul 25 11:27:49 EDT 2016

On 07/25/2016 04:56 PM, Thomas Lamprecht wrote:
> Thanks for the fast reply :)
>

> On 07/25/2016 03:51 PM, Christine Caulfield wrote:
>> On 25/07/16 14:29, Thomas Lamprecht wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I'm currently testing the new features of corosync 2.4, especially
>>> qdevices.
>>> First tests show quite nice results, like having quorum on a single
>>> node
>>> left out of a three node cluster.
>>>
>>> But what I'm a bit worrying about is what happens if the server where
>>> qnetd runs, or the qdevice daemon fails,
>>> in this case the cluster cannot afford any other loss of a node in my
>>> three node setup as votes expected are
>>> 5 and thus 3 are needed for quorum, which I cannot fulfill if the qnetd
>>> does not run run or failed.
>> We're looking into ways of making this more resilient. It might be
>> possible to cluster a qnetd (though this is not currently supported) in
>> a separate cluster from the arbitrated one, obviously.
>
> Yeah I saw that in the QDevice document, that would be a way.
>
> Would then the qnetd daemons act like an own cluster I guess, as there
> would be a need to communicate which node sees which qnetd daemon?
> So that a decision about the quorate partition can be made.
>
> But it's always binding the reliability of a cluster to the one of a
> node, adding a dependency,
> meaning that now failures of components outside from the cluster,
> which would else have
> no affect on the cluster behaviour may now affect it, which could be a
> problem?
>
> I know that's worst case scenario but with only one qnetd running on a
> single (external) node
> it can happen, and if the reliability of the node running qnetd is the
> same as the one from each cluster node
> the reliability of the whole cluster in a three node case would be
> quite simplified, if I remember my introduction course to this topic
> somewhat correctly:
>
> Without qnetd: 1 - ( (1 - R1) *  (1 - R2) * (1 - R3))
>
> With qnetd: (1 - ( (1 - R1) *  (1 - R2) * (1 - R3)) ) * Rqnetd
>
> Where R1, R2, R3 are the reliabilities of  the cluster nodes and
> Rqnetd is the reliability of the node running qnetd.
> While thats a really really simplified model, not quite correctly
> depict reallity, the base concept that the reliability
> of the whole cluster gets dependent of the one from the node running
> qnetd, or?

With lms and ffsplit I guess the calculation is not that simple anymore ...

correct me if I'm wrong but I think a bottomline to understanding the
benefits of qdevice is to think of the classic quorum-generation taking
basically a snapshot of the situation at a certain time and deriving the
reactions from that - whereas with qdevice it is tried to benefit from
the knowledge of the past (respectively how we got into the current
situation).