[ClusterLabs] Pacemaker not always selecting the right stonith device

Ken Gaillot kgaillot at redhat.com
Tue Jul 19 10:17:45 EDT 2016

> On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 4:52 PM, Ken Gaillot <kgaillot at redhat.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> primitive p_ston_pg1 stonith:external/ipmi \
>>>  params hostname=pg1 ipaddr=10.148.128.35 userid=root
>>> passwd="/var/vcap/data/packages/pacemaker/ra-tmp/stonith/PG1-ipmipass"
>>> passwd_method=file interface=lan priv=OPERATOR

>> These constraints prevent each device from running on its intended
>> target, but they don't limit which nodes each device can fence. For
>> that, each device needs a pcmk_host_list or pcmk_host_map entry, for
>> example:
>>
>>    primitive p_ston_pg1 ... pcmk_host_map=pg1:pg1.ipmi.example.com
>>
>> Use pcmk_host_list if the fence device needs the node name as known to
>> the cluster, and pcmk_host_map if you need to translate a node name to
>> an address the device understands.
>>

> Is not pacemaker expected by default to query stonith agent instance
> (sorry I do not know proper name for it) for a list of hosts it can
> manage? And external/ipmi should return value of "hostname" patameter
> here? So the question is why it does not work?

You're right -- if not told otherwise, Pacemaker will query the device
for the target list. In this case, the output of "stonith_admin -l"
suggests it's not returning the desired information. I'm not familiar
with the external agents, so I don't know why that would be. I
mistakenly assumed it worked similarly to fence_ipmilan ...