[ClusterLabs] Antw: Doing reload right

Andrew Beekhof abeekhof at redhat.com
Thu Jul 14 03:45:16 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jul 1, 2016 at 7:48 PM, Jan Pokorný <jpokorny at redhat.com> wrote:
>> <57754F9F.8070908 at redhat.com>:
>>> I've been meaning to address the implementation of "reload" in Pacemaker
>>> for a while now, and I think the next release will be a good time, as it
>>> seems to be coming up more frequently.
>>>
>>> In the current implementation, Pacemaker considers a resource parameter
>>> "reloadable" if the resource agent supports the "reload" action, and the
>>> agent's metadata marks the parameter with "unique=0". If (only) such
>>> parameters get changed in the resource's pacemaker configuration,
>>> pacemaker will call the agent's reload action rather than the
>>> stop-then-start it usually does for parameter changes.
>>>
>>> This is completely broken for two reasons:
>>
>> I agree ;-)
>>

>>> 1. It relies on "unique=0" to determine reloadability. "unique" was
>>> originally intended (and is widely used by existing resource agents) as
>>> a hint to UIs to indicate which parameters uniquely determine a resource
>>> instance. That is, two resource instances should never have the same
>>> value of a "unique" parameter. For this purpose, it makes perfect sense
>>> that (for example) the path to a binary command would have unique=0 --
>>> multiple resource instances could (and likely would) use the same
>>> binary. However, such a parameter could never be reloadable.
>>
>> I tought unique=0 were reloadable (unique=1 were not)...

Exactly

> I see a doubly-distorted picture here:
> - actually "unique=1" on a RA parameter (together with this RA supporting
>   "reload") currently leads to reload-on-change

Are you 100% sure about that?

> - also the provided example shows why reload for "unique=0" is wrong,
>   but as the opposite applies as of current state, it's not an argument
>   why something is broken
>
> See also:
> https://github.com/ClusterLabs/pacemaker/commit/2f5d44d4406e9a8fb5b380cb56ab8a70d7ad9c23

What about it?

>>> 2. Every known resource agent that implements a reload action does so
>>> incorrectly. Pacemaker uses reload for changes in the resource's
>>> *pacemaker* configuration, while all known RAs use reload for a
>>> service's native reload capability of its own configuration file. As an
>>> example, the ocf:heartbeat:named RA calls "rndc reload" for its reload
>>> action, which will have zero effect on any pacemaker-configured
>>> parameters -- and on top of that, the RA uses "unique=0" in its correct
>>> UI sense, and none of those parameters are actually reloadable.
>
> (per the last subclause, applicable also, after mentioned inversion, for
> "unique=1", such as a pid file path, which cannot be reloadable for
> apparent reason)
>
>> Maybe LSB confusion...
>
> That's not entirely fair vindication, as when you have to do some
> extra actions with parameters in LSB-aliased "start" action in the
> RA, you should do such reflections also for "reload".
>
>>> My proposed solution is:
>>>
>>> * Add a new "reloadable" attribute for resource agent metadata, to
>>> indicate reloadable parameters. Pacemaker would use this instead of
>>> "unique".
>>
>> No objections if you change the XML metadata version number this time ;-)
>
> Good point, but I guess everyone's a bit scared to open this Pandora
> box as there's so much technical debt connected to that (unifying FA/RA
> metadata if possible, adding new UI-oriented annotations, pacemaker's
> silent additions like "private" parameter).
> I'd imagine an established authority for OCF matters (and maintaing
> https://github.com/ClusterLabs/OCF-spec) and at least partly formalized
> process inspired by Python PEPs for coordinated development:
> https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0001/
>
> </dreams>
>
>>> * Add a new "reload-options" RA action for the ability to reload
>>> Pacemaker-configured options. Pacemaker would call this instead if "reload".
>>
>> Why not "reload-parameters"?
>
> That came to my mind as well.  Or not wasting time/space on too many
> letters, just "reload-params", perhaps.

The changes for when a reload should take place make plenty of sense,
it is clearly an ongoing source of confusion.  However I'm not so sure
about this part.

Would it not be better to have a single reload operation that took
into account the new config and any changed parameters?  When would we
want to update from only one source of changes?

Splitting the functionality into two functions seems like it would
increase not decrease confusion.  It took even me some time to realise
what you had in mind.

Or is the intention that since most RA writers only think of config
file reload, we are protecting users from incomplete agents? I would
have though requiring the new 'reloadable' to be added to attributes
would be sufficient for this purpose  (call it
'this-attribute-is-reloadable' if you really want to hammer it home
:-).