[ClusterLabs] Help required for N+1 redundancy setup

Ken Gaillot kgaillot at redhat.com
Fri Jan 8 17:01:48 EST 2016

On 01/08/2016 11:13 AM, Nikhil Utane wrote:
>> I think stickiness will do what you want here. Set a stickiness higher
>> than the original node's preference, and the resource will want to stay
>> where it is.
>
> Not sure I understand this. Stickiness will ensure that resources don't
> move back when original node comes back up, isn't it?
> But in my case, I want the newly standby node to become the backup node for
> all other nodes. i.e. it should now be able to run all my resource groups
> albeit with a lower score. How do I achieve that?

Oh right. I forgot to ask whether you had an opt-out
(symmetric-cluster=true, the default) or opt-in
(symmetric-cluster=false) cluster. If you're opt-out, every node can run
every resource unless you give it a negative preference.

Partly it depends on whether there is a good reason to give each
instance a "home" node. Often, there's not. If you just want to balance
resources across nodes, the cluster will do that by default.

If you prefer to put certain resources on certain nodes because the
resources require more physical resources (RAM/CPU/whatever), you can
set node attributes for that and use rules to set node preferences.

Either way, you can decide whether you want stickiness with it.

> Also can you answer, how to get the values of node that goes active and the
> node that goes down inside the OCF agent?  Do I need to use notification or
> some simpler alternative is available?
> Thanks.
>

> On Fri, Jan 8, 2016 at 9:30 PM, Ken Gaillot <kgaillot at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> On 01/08/2016 06:55 AM, Nikhil Utane wrote:
>>> Would like to validate my final config.
>>>
>>> As I mentioned earlier, I will be having (upto) 5 active servers and 1
>>> standby server.
>>> The standby server should take up the role of active that went down. Each
>>> active has some unique configuration that needs to be preserved.
>>>
>>> 1) So I will create total 5 groups. Each group has a "heartbeat::IPaddr2
>>> resource (for virtual IP) and my custom resource.