[ClusterLabs] fence agent and using it with pacemaker

Dejan Muhamedagic dejanmm at fastmail.fm
Wed Feb 10 14:28:10 EST 2016

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 03:20:49PM +0100, Stanislav Kopp wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have general, clarification question about how fence agents work
> with pacemaker (crmsh in particular). As far I understood STDIN

Not sure what crmsh has to do with fencing agents. The
interaction happens between other pacemaker components (normally
stonithd) and the agent.

> arguments can be used within pacemaker resources and command line
> arguments in terminal (for testing and scripting?).

As for testing, crmsh has support for resource testing with
'configure rsctest', but apparently only Linux HA stonith agents
(legacy*) are currently supported.

Otherwise, there's stonith_admin(8) and stonith(8) for stonith
agents. The former uses stonith-ng (stonithd) which makes it
closer to the real cluster operation.

There is also a (not so well known) stonith interface to fencing
agents, which predates RH fencing agents support in pacemaker.
One just needs to create a link in /usr/lib64/stonith/plugins/rhcs:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 32 Nov 18 07:56 fence_cisco_ucs -> ../../../../sbin/fence_cisco_ucs

For instance, this agent is referenced as stonith:rhcs/cisco_ucs.

Finally, it would be great to somehow put together the two
fencing/stonith agents sets.

Thanks,

Dejan

*) Why the Linux HA stonith agents got the attribute/name
"legacy" in Pacemaker at some point is beyond me.