[ClusterLabs] kvm live migration, resource moving

Cédric Dufour - Idiap Research Institute cedric.dufour at idiap.ch
Thu Feb 4 08:09:10 EST 2016

Hello,

Here, we have live migration working like a charm through the cluster.
Below the XML expert of a resource configuration:

<resources>
  <group id="FOOBAR">
    <primitive id="FOOBAR-LibvirtQemu" class="ocf" provider="custom"
type="LibvirtQemu">
      <instance_attributes id="FOOBAR-LibvirtQemu-IA">
        <nvpair id="FOOBAR-LibvirtQemu-IA-config" name="config"
value="/havc/config/libvirt/FOOBAR.xml"/>
      </instance_attributes>
      <meta_attributes id="FOOBAR-LibvirtQemu-MA">
        <nvpair id="FOOBAR-LibvirtQemu-MA-allow-migrate"
name="allow-migrate" value="true"/>
      </meta_attributes>
      <operations>
        <op id="FOOBAR-LibvirtQemu-OP-monitor" name="monitor"
timeout="30s" interval="60s"/>
        <op id="FOOBAR-LibvirtQemu-OP-start" name="start" timeout="60s"
interval="0"/>
        <op id="FOOBAR-LibvirtQemu-OP-stop" name="stop" timeout="60s"
interval="0"/>
        <op id="FOOBAR-LibvirtQemu-OP-migrate-to" name="migrate_to"
timeout="60s" interval="0"/>
        <op id="FOOBAR-LibvirtQemu-OP-migrate-from" name="migrate_from"
timeout="60s" interval="0"/>
      </operations>
    </primitive>
  </group>
</resources>

The LibvirtQemu agent is a custom one derived from the VirtualDomain
agent (for reasons that are off-topic).

The points worth seeing are:

- the "allow-migrate" meta attribute (see
http://www.linux-ha.org/wiki/VirtualDomain_%28resource_agent%29 "If the
allow-migrate meta parameter is set to true, then a resource migration
will not map to a domain shutdown/startup cycle, but to an actual,
potentially live, resource migration between cluster nodes. ")

- the "migrate-from" and "migrate-to" timeouts (which must be set
relative to how big - RAM-wise - your VMs are and the bandwidth
available for migration); passed this timeout, the migration will be
interrupted and the VM will be shutdown/restarted

Hope it helps,

Cédric