[ClusterLabs] Pacemaker for 389 directory server with multi-master replication

Bernie Jones bernie at securityconsulting.ltd.uk
Sat Feb 20 07:50:02 EST 2016

Hi all,

I'm new to this list and fairly new to pacemaker and have just spent a
couple of days trying unsuccessfully to solve a configuration challenge.

I have seen a relevant post on this list from around four years ago but it
doesn't seem to have helped - here's what I want to do.

I have 389 directory server running on two Centos servers. It's configured
for MMR and my plan is to use one replica as the primary LDAP server,
failing over to the secondary only if there's a problem. This is to avoid
frequent writes to both replicas causing high levels of bi-directional
replication traffic. SO I'm looking for failover rather than load balancing.

This works fine using a traditional load balancer configured appropriately
for weighting and stickiness with a simple heartbeat to the LDAP server but
I'd like to see if I can use Pacemaker instead using a floating IP across
the two LDAP servers and appropriate monitoring to control switch over.

I've configured a floating IP resource OK but am struggling with the
question of how to monitor the 389 server.

If I create a resource using lsb:dirsrv then I find that the server is
started up on the primary cluster node but not on the second - which is
understandable but not what I need.

What I would like to be able to achieve is to have the 389 instances
monitored but not controlled such that the floating IP address switches
across when required but without stopping or starting the 389 instances.

Right now I'm not sure whether I should be using the dirsrv resource or
looking for some kind of simple 'LDAP ping' resource that could be used.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

Kind regards,

Bernie

scl_header14