[ClusterLabs] Antw: Re: Set a node attribute for multiple nodes with one command

Ken Gaillot kgaillot at redhat.com
Thu Dec 1 10:56:27 EST 2016

On 12/01/2016 06:04 AM, Kostiantyn Ponomarenko wrote:
> OK, now I see. I still have a few questions.
>     1. Is there a good reason to not remove the attribute totally if it
> is "deleted"?

We do this for two reasons:

1. You can "delete" an attribute for just one node, while leaving it on
other nodes. Attrd needs to remember the attribute as a whole, and just
delete the value for the one node. Even deleting an attribute on all
nodes is done by separate deletes for each node, so this matters even then.

2. Information about the attribute needs to continue to exist in order
to reliably process changes from different nodes. I forget the exact
details, but I remember looking into it before.

These limitations could possibly be addressed by keeping the attribute
but setting a "deleted" flag, and changing how those would be reported,
but it's not on the radar right now.

>     2. Does "attrd_updater" sets attributes to "status" configuration
> section only?

Yes (when using corosync 2).

crm_attribute modifies the CIB directly, so there is no way to batch its
changes with a delay.

>     3. Do I need to modify/set "--delay" to 0 before removing or
> changing the attribute? Because now I see that previously set delay
> works when I delete the attribute (--delete).

It depends on what you want. The point of the delay is to write changes
out to the CIB only every so often, to save disk I/O. If you're
potentially changing attribute values several times per second, this
would be a huge performance boost. The delay affects all changes,
including deletes.

If you want a specific change to be written to the CIB immediately, then
yes, you have to set the delay to 0. You can either change the delay
beforehand with attrd_updater --update-delay or change the delay and
value together with --update-both.

>     4. Does a delay set only one time work until it's unset (set to 0)?

Yes