[ClusterLabs] setting up SBD_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT, stonith-timeout and stonith-watchdog-timeout

Klaus Wenninger kwenning at redhat.com
Wed Dec 14 13:52:41 UTC 2016

On 12/14/2016 01:26 PM, Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Dec 2016 11:47:20 +0100
> Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais <jgdr at dalibo.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> While setting this various parameters, I couldn't find documentation and
>> details about them. Bellow some questions.
>>
>> Considering the watchdog module used on a server is set up with a 30s timer
>> (lets call it the wdt, the "watchdog timer"), how should
>> "SBD_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT", "stonith-timeout" and "stonith-watchdog-timeout" be
>> set?
>>
>> Here is my thinking so far:
>>
>> "SBD_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT < wdt". The sbd daemon should reset the timer before the
>> wdt expire so the server stay alive. Online resources and default values are
>> usually "SBD_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT=5s" and "wdt=30s". But what if sbd fails to
>> reset the timer multiple times (eg. because of excessive load, swap storm
>> etc)? The server will not reset before random*SBD_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT or wdt,
>> right?

SBD_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT (e.g. in /etc/sysconfig/sbd) is already the
timeout the hardware watchdog is configured to by sbd-daemon.
sbd-daemon is triggering faster - timeout_loop defaults to 1s but
is configurable.

SBD_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT (and maybe the loop timeout as well
but significantly shorter should be sufficient)
has to be configured so that failing to trigger within time means
a failure with high enough certainty or the machine showing
comparable response-times would anyway violate timing requirements
of the services running on itself and in the cluster.

Have in mind that sbd-daemon defaults to running realtime-scheduled
and thus is gonna be more responsive than the usual services
on the system. Although you of course have to consider that
the watchers (child-processes of sbd that are observing e.g.
the block-device(s), corosync, pacemaker_remoted or
pacemaker node-health) might be significantly less responsive
due to their communication partners.

>> "stonith-watchdog-timeout > SBD_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT". I'm not quite sure what is
>> stonith-watchdog-timeout. Is it the maximum time to wait from stonithd after
>> it asked for a node fencing before it considers the watchdog was actually
>> triggered and the node reseted, even with no confirmation? I suppose
>> "stonith-watchdog-timeout" is mostly useful to stonithd, right?

Yes, the time we can assume a node to be killed by the hardware-watchdog...
Double the hardware-watchdog-timeout is a good choice.

>> "stonith-watchdog-timeout < stonith-timeout". I understand the stonith action
>> timeout should be at least greater than the wdt so stonithd will not raise a
>> timeout before the wdt had a chance to exprire and reset the node. Is it
>> right?

stonith-timeout is the cluster-wide-defaut to wait for stonith-devices
to carry out their duty. In the sbd-case without a block-device (sbd used
for pacemaker to be observed by a hardware-watchdog) it shouldn't
play a role. When a block-device is being used it guards the
communication with the fence-agent communicating with the
block-device.