[ClusterLabs] @ClusterLabs/devel COPR with new pacemaker (Was: Pacemaker 1.1.16 released)

Jan Pokorný jpokorny at redhat.com
Thu Dec 1 14:54:22 EST 2016

On 30/11/16 14:05 -0600, Ken Gaillot wrote:
> ClusterLabs is proud to announce the latest release of the Pacemaker
> cluster resource manager, version 1.1.15. The source code is available at:
>
> https://github.com/ClusterLabs/pacemaker/releases/tag/Pacemaker-1.1.16

In the same vein as recent libqb release followup[1], but I promise I'll
refrain myself from further such crossover announcements, at least
regarding these two packages and unless there's a catch such as
the current one...

For those interested in Fedora/EL-based distros, I am happy to
announce that pacemaker became another citizen in the package set
under the @ClusterLabs/devel COPR repository[2], following the
previously declared example of libqb.  As a recap, this means that
new builds will be triggered upon new pushes arriving upstream,
which brings some advantages:

- curious users can play with new features early; they still should
  keep in mind that the only party interested in the bug reports
  for these otherwise throwaway byproducts are upstream developers,
  and only if the issue is relevant to recent changes

- such pacemaker builds will always be exercised upon the newest
  (buildable) libqb at that time, meaning the compilations issues
  arising from mutual incompatibilities should be spotted the soonest
  moment possible[*], preventing later surprises ([2] also states
  some examples that could have been discovered earlier)

And now back to how to obtain such bare upstream 1.1.16 version of
pacemaker from here (e.g., proper Fedora release will follow soon)
instantly.  As initially mentioned there's a catch, because there
are some discrepancies yet to be straightened out[3], so once the
mentioned COPR repo enabled (see [1] or [2]),

    dnf update pacemaker-1.1.16-1$(rpm -E %dist)

won't help.  But because Pacemaker-1.1.16 tag is just another name
for 94ff4df commit for which the build was triggered prior to tag
being pushed, this build succeeded and can be hence used as

    dnf update pacemaker-1.1.16-0.12.94ff4df.git$(rpm -E %dist)

(Admittedly, corrected build for 1.1.16 could be issued, but that
that would be completely redundant modulo RPM package metadata.)

Things should be in better shape for the next release :-)

[*] putting the test compilations proactively run by the contributors
    of either project aside, as that hardly scales in any meaningful way

[1] http://lists.clusterlabs.org/pipermail/users/2016-November/004590.html
[2] https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/g/ClusterLabs/devel/
[3] https://github.com/ClusterLabs/pacemaker/pull/1196

--