[ClusterLabs] FYI: pacemaker will keep compatibility with python 2.6

Ken Gaillot kgaillot at redhat.com
Fri Aug 26 13:50:31 EDT 2016

Hello everybody, just an FYI:

Pacemaker's test suites are mostly written in python. A few months ago,
I raised the possibility of dropping support for python 2.6, to make it
easier to support python 3.

After some experience with updating our code, I found that we can
support python 2.6+ and 3.2+ with the same code base.

This means that the latest pacemaker will remain fully buildable on RHEL
6, SLES11, and other platforms that ship with python 2.6.

I've already updated the fencing and lrmd regression tests, so CTS is
all that's left. I don't expect CTS to be python 3 compatible by the
next release, but we're making progress.

As part of this work, I've developed our first official python coding
guidelines. They are included in the "Pacemaker Development" source in
the master branch. The online version hasn't been updated yet, but will
be before the next release.