[ClusterLabs] Antw: Coming in 1.1.16: versioned resource parameters

Kristoffer Grönlund kgronlund at suse.com
Fri Aug 12 05:20:14 UTC 2016

Ken Gaillot <kgaillot at redhat.com> writes:

> Bloat is definitely an issue to consider when adding features. I try to
> weigh how many users might be interested, how isolated the new code can
> be from other code, whether the feature has any performance impact when
> not configured, what alternative approaches are available, and how well
> it fits with pacemaker's existing design.
>
> In this case, the main thing that reassured me was that the code is
> reasonably well isolated and should have no significant effect when the
> feature is not used in the configuration, and it fit very well with the
> existing rules capability.
>
> Klaus' comments about the limitations of handling it in the RA are a
> reasonable argument for handling it within pacemaker.
>
> Certainly, I agree the best approach is to maintain backward
> compatibility in RAs, but that's not always under the control of the
> cluster administrator.

FWIW, I think this looks like a useful feature. Complexity-wise, it is
already possible to construct complex rule expressions -- and I would
consider any kind of rule expression to be advanced usage that most
users probably don't need to concern themselves with, other than simple
#uname comparisons.

Cheers,
Kristoffer

--