[ClusterLabs] Antw: Coming in 1.1.16: versioned resource parameters

Klaus Wenninger kwenning at redhat.com
Thu Aug 11 08:35:06 UTC 2016

On 08/11/2016 09:13 AM, Ulrich Windl wrote:
> <804dd911-56a6-328c-00a4-43133f59d39f at redhat.com>:
>> Have you ever changed a resource agent in a backward-incompatible way,
>> and found yourself wishing you could do a rolling upgrade?
> Hi!
>
> It seems you are fighting the consequence, not the cause: Why do such a thing? Why not make an intermediate RA that complains about the old parameters being obsolete (BTW: Does the XML metadata have an "obsolete" attribute for parameters?) while also supporting the new parameters? Then you would first update your RAs, the the configuration. Everything will continue to work. Then you can make the next generation of RAs that drop support of the obsolete parameters.
>
> I'm afarid adding more and more features to pacemaker will make it bloatware, instead of being small, efficient and reliable.

There are probably a lot of reasons why the feature could be considered
a good idea.
2 coming to my mind are:

- everything that allows us to reduce complexity in RAs is usually a
good idea.
  Having a generic feature that is used in a lot of use-cases with a lot
of RAs
  you will get this feature tested well.
  Everything you implement in an RA will in the worst case just be
tested by you
  if it is something custom that is not of generic use. In any case it
won't be
  tested as well as a pacemaker-feature.
  My personal experience that most of the time when something is not
behaving
  as expected it is rather a shortcoming of some RA than a pacemaker
problem -
  not saying pacemaker is perfect and doesn't have problems - don't get
me wrong here.

- when it is about updating RAs you are not maintaining by yourself you
  usually don't want to touch them. If you want them to already have the
checking
  built in then this will result in needing some kind of synchronization
of the
  update-cycles of the different RA-sources among each other and with
your installation.