[ClusterLabs] Fencing with a 3-node (1 for quorum only) cluster

Dan Swartzendruber dswartz at druber.com
Sat Aug 6 23:33:57 UTC 2016

Okay, I almost have this all working.  fence_ipmilan for the supermicro
host.  Had to specify lanplus for it to work.  fence_drac5 for the R905.
  That was failing to complete due to timeout.  Found a couple of helpful
posts that recommended increase the retry count to 3 and the timeout to
60.  That worked also.  The only problem now, is that it takes well over
a minute to complete the fencing operation.  In that interim, the fenced
host shows as UNCLEAN (offline), and because the fencing operation
hasn't completed, the other node has to wait to import the pool and
share out the filesystem.  This causes the vsphere hosts to declare the
NFS datastore down.  I hadn't gotten exact timing, but I think the
fencing operation took a little over a minute.  I'm wondering if I could
change the timeout to a smaller value, but increase the retries?  Like
back to the default 20 second timeout, but change retries from 1 to 5?