[ClusterLabs] ClusterLabsComing in 1.1.15: Event-driven alerts

Klaus Wenninger kwenning at redhat.com
Fri Apr 22 06:19:02 EDT 2016

On 04/22/2016 10:55 AM, Ferenc Wágner wrote:
> Ken Gaillot <kgaillot at redhat.com> writes:
>
>> Each alert may have any number of recipients configured. These values
>> will simply be passed to the script as arguments. The first recipient
>> will also be passed as the CRM_alert_recipient environment variable,
>> for compatibility with existing scripts that only support one
>> recipient.
>> [...]
>> In the current implementation, meta-attributes and instance attributes
>> may also be specified within the <recipient> block, in which case they
>> override any values specified in the <alert> block when sent to that
>> recipient.
> Sorry, I don't get this.  The first paragraph above tells me that for a
> given cluster event each <alert> is run once, with all recipients passed
> as command line arguments to the alert executable.  But a single
> invocation can only have a single set of environmental variables, so how
> can you override instance attributes for individual recipients?
The paragraph above is indeed confusing or at least it can
be understood in a way that doesn't reflect how it is implemented.
If the script would just be called once the parameter itself
could already be a list.
Anyway - as it is implemented at the moment - the script is called
for each of the recipients in parallel.
This has a couple of advantages as it simplifies the script
implementation (if you have problems with concurrency use just
one recipient and make it a list), the timeout can be observed
on a per recipient basis and if delivering to one recipient fails
it doesn't affect the others.
And each of these calls inherits a global set of environment
variables while each of them can be overwritten on a per
recipient basis.

>> Whether this stays in the final 1.1.15 release or not depends on
>> whether people find this to be useful, or confusing.
> Now guess..:)
Like this it finally even might lead to detection and avoidance of
confusion ;-)