[ClusterLabs] Antw: Re: Q: Resource balancing opration

Tomas Jelinek tojeline at redhat.com
Thu Apr 21 04:20:59 EDT 2016

Dne 21.4.2016 v 08:56 Ulrich Windl napsal(a):
> <571795E5.4090004 at redhat.com>:
>> On 04/20/2016 01:17 AM, Ulrich Windl wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I'm wondering: If you boot a node on a cluster, most resources will go to
>> another node (if possible). Due to stickiness configured, those resources
>> will stay there.
>>> So I'm wondering whether or how I could cause a rebalance of resources on
>> the cluster. I must admit that I don't understand the details of stickiness
>> related to other parameters. In my understanding stickiness should be related
>> to a percentage of utilization dynamically, so that a resource running on a
>> node that is "almost full" should dynamically lower its stickiness to allow
>> resource migration.
>>>
>>> So if you are going to implement a manual resource rebalance operation,
>> could you dynamically lower the stickiness for each resource (by some amount
>> or some factor), wait if something happens, and then repeat the process until
>> resources look balanced. "Looking balanced" should be no worse as if all
>> resources are started when all cluster nodes are up.
>>>
>>> Spontaneous pros and cons for "resource rebalancing"?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Ulrich
>>
>> Pacemaker gives you a few levers to pull. Stickiness and utilization
>> attributes (with a placement strategy) are the main ones.
>>
>> Normally, pacemaker *will* continually rebalance according to what nodes
>> are available. Stickiness tells the cluster not to do that.
>>
>> Whether you should use stickiness (and how much) depends mainly on how
>> significant is the interruption that occurs when a service is moved. For
>
> We agree on this: What I was asking for was a "manually triggered automatic rebalance" that would temporarily override the stickiness parameters set for the resources. Manually means people will blame me, not the cluster (at least for starting the operation ;-)) if something bad happens.

Hi Ulrich,

You may want to take a look at "pcs resource relocate" commands which
are available in pcs-0.9.143 and newer (pcs-0.9.144 contains an
additional fix for dealing with remote nodes).

What pcs basically does is:
* simulate what would pacemaker do if stickiness was set to 0 on resources
* create constraints to move resources based on the simulation outcome
* wait for the resources to move
* remove the constraints

It is also possible to just display migrated resources or run the whole
rebalancing in a dry-run mode. You can specify which resources you want
to be rebalanced.

Regards,
Tomas