[ClusterLabs] Coming in 1.1.15: recurring stop operations

Jan Pokorný jpokorny at redhat.com
Sat Apr 2 05:38:24 EDT 2016

On 01/04/16 11:41 -0500, Ken Gaillot wrote:
> In current versions of Pacemaker, trying to configure a stop operation
> with a time interval results in a warning about an "invalid configuration."
>
> A popular request from the community has been to enable this feature,
> and I am proud to announce recurring stop operations will be part of the
> future 1.1.15 release.
>
> A common situation where a recurring stop operation is required is when
> a particular provided service is funded in the budget for only part of
> the time. Now, configuring a stop operation with interval=36h allows you
> to stop providing the service every day and a half.
>
> Another common use case requested by users is to more evenly distribute
> the staff utilization at 24-hour NOC facilities. With a interval=8h stop
> operation, you can be sure that you will get your salaries' worth from
> every NOC shift.
>
> Lastly, some users have requested sysadmin training exercises. With this
> new feature, it is possible to use rules to apply the interval only
> during conditions of your choosing. For example, you can set a 2-hour
> stop interval to apply only during full moons that occur on a Friday.
> That will give a thorough disaster training workout to your new sysadmins.
> --
> Ken Gaillot <kgaillot at redhat.com>
>
> P.S. Please check the date of this post before replying. ;)

The disclaimer might came later on...

I was going to suggest that high unavailability is not that easy
if you don't have an access (physical or remote) to power switches
(that's why fencing devices are even more vital for this use case!
RFC 3251 hasn't made it to production yet, sadly) or not enough
administrative privileges.  You can still try DoS-ing the machine
as a boundary-line resort to maximize the downtime (other means
are kept as an exercise for the criminal circles).

--
Jan (Poki)