[ClusterLabs] Moving Related Servers

Klaus Wenninger kwenning at redhat.com
Wed Apr 20 05:26:05 UTC 2016

On 04/19/2016 04:32 PM, Ken Gaillot wrote:
> On 04/18/2016 10:05 PM, ‪H Yavari‬ ‪ wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> This is servers maps:
>>
>> App 3---------> App 1    (Active)
>>
>> App 4 ---------> App 2   (Standby)
>>

>> Now App1 and App2 are in a cluster with IP failover.
>>
>> I need when IP failover will run and App2 will be Active node, service
>> "X" on server App3 will be stop and App 4 will be Active node.
>> In the other words, App1 works only with App3 and App 2 works with App 4.
>>
>> I have a web application on App1 and some services on App 3 (this is
>> same for App2 and App 4)
> This is a difficult situation to model. In particular, you could only
> have a dependency one way -- so if we could get App 3 to fail over if
> App 1 fails, we couldn't model the other direction (App 1 failing over
> if App 3 fails). If each is dependent on the other, there's no way to
> start one first.
>
> Is there a technical reason App 3 can work only with App 1?
>
> Is it possible for service "X" to stay running on both App 3 and App 4
> all the time? If so, this becomes easier.
Just another try to understand what you are aiming for:

You have a 2-node-cluster at the moment consisting of the nodes
App1 & App2.
You configured something like a master/slave-group to realize
an active/standby scenario.

To get the servers App3 & App4 into the game we would make
them additional pacemaker-nodes (App3 & App4).
You now have a service X that could be running either on App3 or
App4 (which is easy by e.g. making it dependent on a node attribute)
and it should be running on App3 when the service-group is active
(master in pacemaker terms) on App1 and on App4 when the
service-group is active on App2.

The standard thing would be to collocate a service with the master-role
(see all the DRBD examples for instance).
We would now need a locate-x when master is located-y rule instead
of collocation.
I don't know any way to directly specify this.
One - ugly though - way around I could imagine would be:

- locate service X1 on App3
- locate service X2 on App4
- dummy service Y1 is located App1 and collocated with master-role
- dummy service Y2 is located App2 and collocated with master-role
- service X1 depends on Y1
- service X2 depends on Y2

If that somehow reflects your situation the key question now would
probably be if pengine would make the group on App2 master
if service X1 fails on App3. I would guess yes but I'm not sure.

Regards,
Klaus