[ClusterLabs] Antw: Re: SAN with drbd and pacemaker

Ulrich Windl Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Fri Sep 18 03:42:00 EDT 2015

>>> Marco Marino <marino.mrc at gmail.com> schrieb am 18.09.2015 um 09:28 in
Nachricht
<CAFHVVuKUd6zYLp0tcf=LQbMfd5XHbyBE-MBLtC45kBDK4fZzxA at mail.gmail.com>:
> ok, first if all, thank you for your answer. This is acomplicated task and
> I cannot found many guides (if you have are welcome).
> I'm using RAID6 and I have 20 disks of 4TB each.
> In RAID6 space efficiency is 1-2/n, so a solution for small Virtual Drive
> could be 4 or 5 disks. If I use 4 disks I will have (4*4) * (1-2/4) = 8 TB
> of effective space. Instead, if I use 5 disks, I will have (5*4) * (1-2/5)
> = 12TB of effective space.
> Space efficiency is not a primary goal for me, I'm trying to reduce time of
> rebuilding when a disk fails (and performance improvement!).
>
> "If you run 20x4TB disks as RAID6, then an 8TB volume is only ~500G per
> disk. However, if one disk fails, then all the other 15 volumes this
> disk handles are broken, too. (BTW, most raid controller can handle
> multiple stripes per disk, but usually only a handful) In such case the
> complete 4TB of the broken disk has to be recovered, affecting all 16
> volumes."
>
> Can you explain me this? 16 volumes?

I really don't know, but my guess is that the array controller rearranges the
data for the remaining good drives (assuming there is enough unallocated space
on each disk).
Most modern systems work like this: You define logical disks as RAID on
physical disks, and the controller "slices" the disks to build a RAID from
these slices. If you have enough disks and unallocated room on each disk, the
controller can readjust the slices on each disk to rebuild a fully redundant
RAID with the remaining disks. That way a "hot spare" is no longer a physical
disk, but the unallocated capacity corresponding to an empty disk.

Despite of all that, my tests (with MD-RAID) showed that RAID6 has a
significantly poorer write throughput than RAID5, but read hroughput may be
better...

If you have many disks, but don't need the fully capacity, you can configure
"interesting things" like a RAID1 on top of two RAID0 with 10 disks each (or a
RAID5 on top of 10 RAID1 with two disks each)...

Regards,
Ulrich