[ClusterLabs] Timeout - SBD's vs Watchdog's [SOLVED]

Jorge Fábregas jorge.fabregas at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 21:05:19 EDT 2015

On 09/15/2015 04:32 PM, Jorge Fábregas wrote:
> I have a situation where the watchdog provided by the hypervisor (z/VM)
> is not configurable (you can't change the heartbeat via the provided
> kernel module).  SBD warms me about this and suggests the -T option (so
> it doesn't try to change it to match the "watchdog" timeout as specified
> in SBD's metadata). The -T option helped there.

Well, it turns out the watchdog timer is configurable. I was getting this:

ERROR: WDIOC_SETTIMEOUT: Failed to set watchdog timer to 5 seconds.:
Invalid argument

...and right after that I did "modinfo vmwatchdog" and saw there were no
options to set up the timeout and therefore concluded that was the
reason SBD couldn't set it (lack of module option, I thought).  Well it
turns out it does it via an IOCTL.  Now the invalid argument part... it
turns out the minimum allowed value for the emulated watchdog is 15 seconds!

I recreated my SBD device with "-1 15 -4 30" and it worked!   Did it
again with "-1 14" and it didn't so that was it.

I'm perfectly fine with 15 seconds & 30 as msgwait!

Cheers!
Jorge