[ClusterLabs] Antw: Re: Antw: Re: Antw: Re: EL6, cman, rrp, unicast and iptables

Ulrich Windl Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Tue Sep 15 02:09:19 EDT 2015

Nachricht <55F6EBF0.2000504 at familie-kuntze.de>:

> Hello Ullrich,
>

>> What totem does it detect network problems when there are none:
>>
>> # grep ringid.*FAULTY /var/log/messages |wc -l
>> 1981
>
> Yup. What information from your specific setup can you contribute to this
> particular discussion
> about Digimer's problem?
>
>>> This is something that no other protocol you encounter on the
internet/LAN
>>> is supposed to do.
>>
>> Definitely not: 0 interface errors on any interface, not communication
>> problems.
>
> What does protocol error detection have to do with interface errors?
> Protocol errors aren't
> contained in interface errors.

If you send a protocol from A to B where neither A's interface nor B's
interface has any errors, and B reports a protocol error, the obvious
conclusion is that the protocol is broken. Es pecially if the protocol claims
to implement reliable in-order transfer.
Of cours from "no interface errors" you cannot deduce "no protocol errors",
but if both parties use the same software, the bad protocol can only come from
the software.

>> Even NFS over UDP is much smarter than TOTEM is.
> NFS over UDP is for bulk transfer of data. You're comparing apples to
> bananas.
> What improvement for TOTEM do you want to take from NFS over UDP?
> NFS over UDP has congestion control. Is it that what you mean?

NFS over UDP has the feature that it works under load, even if some packets
are dropped. I cannot confirm that property for TOTEM.