[ClusterLabs] Virtual Machines with USB Dongle

Kai Dupke kdupke at suse.com
Sun Sep 27 12:29:31 UTC 2015

On 09/25/2015 08:40 PM, J. Echter wrote:
> what would you do if you have to run a machine which needs a usb dongle
> / usb gsm modem to operate properly.
>
> If this machine switches to another node, the usb thing doesnt move around.
>
> Any hint on such a case?

Beside building some mechanism to move the USB stick ....

What is the service provided, how does it depend on the stick?

Most cases you want to have the stick twice, as it is a single point of
failure only to have one. If you have two then have one stick at one
node and the other at another node.

Hopefully this is not a license dongle where you have to have two
different installations of the software, one per each dongle.

If this is about simple network access, two router boxes providing GSM
in parallel and steadily, but have one of them in active use by the
application might be an option. If the dongle is to provide backup
network capacity, I would still go the router way - many have config
options to run via GSM/UMTS as backup if DSL/ISDN/landline-network is down.

Keep in mind that this might moves the single point of failure outwards
to the network provider, if you don't have a network provider. And
finally if you have to connect to a single service somewhere outside,
how is this service protected?

(Had a customer building a crazy redundant setup for a communication
system, with many paths but finally it all ended at a non-redundant
end-point where the target was)

greetings
Kai Dupke
Senior Product Manager
Server Product Line
--
Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor liberty to purchase power.
Phone:  +49-(0)5102-9310828     Mail: kdupke at suse.com
Mobile: +49-(0)173-5876766      WWW:  www.suse.com

SUSE Linux GmbH - Maxfeldstr. 5 - 90409 Nuernberg (Germany)
GF:Felix Imendörffer,Jane Smithard,Graham Norton,HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)