[ClusterLabs] Cluster node loss detection.

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Fri Oct 16 17:35:21 UTC 2015

On 16/10/15 01:14 PM, Vallevand, Mark K wrote:
> No stonith configured.  Not explicitly anyway.
> Does that factor into this somehow?

Yes, you will eventually have a split-brain.

All fencing in cman does with 'fence_pcmk' is say "hey, if you need to
fence, ask pacemaker to do it". That's useless if pacemaker can't fence.

> I've tested stonith, but we aren't doing it for customers.  Maybe in the future if someone cries or pays us money.
> Our solution is deployed onto too many different machines.  A couple of bare metal.  A couple of VMs.  We don't want customers to need to figure out stonith and we can't test all possible configurations and write instructions.  So, they get one-size-fits-all.

https://alteeve.ca/w/AN!Cluster_Tutorial_2#Concept.3B_Fencing

You are doing a disservice to your customers. Without fencing, you
*will* have a bad day, it's just a question of when. I can't tell you
how many times I've heard "but it worked fine for over a year!".

Stonith is worth the hassle.

--
Digimer
access to education?