[ClusterLabs] Corosync & pacemaker quit between boot and login

Russell Martin russell_martin at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 16 16:17:29 UTC 2015

Hi,
I'm a complete noob but I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction.
My setup is as follows: - 2 PCs running Ubuntu 14.0.4.3 LTS (Desktop, cause I'm lazy and like a GUI and some of the desktop apps to be available). - 2 additional NICs connected via crossover cable with static IP's (10.0.1.1 & 10.0.1.2) - Corosync 2.3.3-1-ubuntu1 (installed via apt-get) - Pacemaker 1.1.10+git20130802-1unbunt2.3 (also installed via apt-get) - Corosync keys have been generated and placed on both machines - The only customization I've done to /etc/corosync/corosync.conf is to set the bindnetaddr to 10.0.1.0
 - I've also set START=yes in /etc/default/corosync
 - All of the init scrips are set for corosync and pacemaker to start at boot
 - I've disabled the splash screen so that I see all of the startup messages before X starts.

Both corosync and pacemaker seem to start fine during boot (they both say "[OK]")
However, once logged in, neither daemon is running.
I can start both services manually and then run crm_mon and see that they've joined the cluster (no resources are configured yet).
However, I really want to figure out why they are quitting after boot, prior to login.
I have a very similar configuration setup with two virtual machines in VirtualBox (however, I did use Ubuntu Server 14.0.4.2 in the VMs).
With the VMs, even if only one server is brought up, corosync & pacemaker and running and the single server joins the cluster.
I can bring up the other VM and it joins the cluster as it should.
Other than the difference in Ubuntu versions, I can't figure out what is different between the VMs and the real PCs.
Since I'm new to all of this, I'm not sure what to look for in log files to find out why corosync and pacemaker are quitting after logging in.
I'd really like to get the cluster coming up automatically after any shutdowns so that I can move on to learning to create resources.
Any insight or suggestions would be appreciated. Please let me know if there's any other information I can provide that would be helpful for troubleshooting this issue.