[ClusterLabs] Fencing Two-Node Cluster on Two ESXi Hosts

Gonçalo Lourenço goncalo.lourenco at gonksys.com
Thu Nov 5 03:43:42 EST 2015

Greetings, everyone!

I'm having some trouble understanding how to properly setup fencing in my two-node cluster (Pacemaker + Corosync). I apologize beforehand if this exact question has been answered in the past, but I think the intricacies of my situation might be interesting enough to warrant yet another thread on this matter!

My setup consists of two virtual machines (the nodes of the cluster) running on two separate VMWare ESXi servers: VM 1 (CentOS 7) is running on ESXi 1; VM 2 (another CentOS 7) is on ESXi 2. I have all resources except for fencing running as intended (DRBD, a virtual IP address, and a DHCP server). I have no access to any additional computing resources, both physical and virtual. Both nodes use one NIC for DRBD and Corosync (since it's a virtual environment, I thought this would be enough) and another one used exclusively for the DHCP server.

My idea for fencing this two-node cluster is the following:
. Setup one VMWare SOAP fencing agent on VM 1 that talks to ESXi 1. This agent would run exclusively on VM 1 and would only serve to fence VM 2;
. Another VMWare SOAP fencing agent on VM 2 that'll talk to ESXi 2. Yet again, this agent would run solely on VM 2 and would only fence VM 1.

Basically, the idea is to have them fence one another through the ESXi host they're running on.
Is this the right way to go? If so, how should I configure the fencing resource? If not, what should I change?

Thank you for your time.

Kind regards,
Gonçalo Lourenço